Umsindo is series of lockdown diaries by artists in the form of an exhibition. Umsindo is the unveiling of enthralling works of art that were created under bamboozling circumstances, whose narrative is mutual and aesthetic to all the audiences far and wide. In this context, Umsindo is referring to the sound of the virus, invisible yet so scary to an extent that civilisation had to stop, reflect and restart.
Umsindo is bringing positive vibes and glee to a nation moving forward against the odds. During the national lockdown, art in our homes became the source of amusement and inspiration. Zimbabweans are said to be resilient and forward movers despite all that life has thrown at them; Umsindo is instigating fresh conversations to the changing ways art and exhibitions are presented now and into the future.
Artists from every part of the world are invited to submit artworks that are echoing personal and societal lockdown experiences – broken hearts, medical breakthroughs.
Art never disappoints, art reflects the times, art records the moments good and bad so that in the future we can look back and reminisce.
Artworks will be collected by the curator or dropped at the Gallery by 15 June 2020.
Entry is free
WE ARE LOOKING TO SHOWCASE THE WORK OF 20 ARTISTS SELECTED FORM THE ENTRIES.
The following should accompany the entry, artist to submit up to 3 artworks
1. All forms of artworks
1. Updated Curriculum Vitae(s) and bio(s) of all artists
2. A one-page statement or diary describing the artwork (maximum 300 words)
3. Artist statement.
6. An image checklist for artwork/video work submitted. Include the artist name, title, year, medium and dimensions.
While we accept submissions based on all sorts of ideas, the gallery we will be committed to exhibiting:
1) Work that contributes to the ongoing lockdown dialogue.
2) Artworks that push artistic practice in new and interesting directions.
3) Styles and techniques not represented in private or commercial spaces or otherwise difficult to show elsewhere.
4) Artworks that take in account our gallery space, respect the “breathing space” of each artwork, tend to work better in our space.
For more details and artwork collection please contact the curator by Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call office 292270721 mobile 0772896508