We transforming the traditional model of the ‘Craft Fair’ to a curated event presenting emerging artists, craft makers and designers an opportunity to benefit from this prestigious creative space at a professional level. THE FAIR reassures a solid base of direct interactions with local and international buyers in a friendly environment.
The fair focuses on contemporary Galleries artists from Bulawayo and the rest of the country. The fair is a very important week for art and culture professionals to meet and participate on various platforms like exhibitions, presentations and workshops pursuing and interrogating the current state of art and curatorial practice in the country. The National Gallery enjoys its mandate and has shaped the curatorial practice in Zimbabwe that has enabled new players to occupy the creative spaces, spearheading the visibility of Zimbabwean art locally and across the globe and retuning back home to adapt, improve, transform and implement home grown solutions to our creative work.
Image: Fara Happy Sebastian Herlkner
Special features of the Fair will include a series of curated Special Projects, as well as a Talks. The programme will initially invite Zimbabwean Art figures, philosophers, and critical theorists to deliver lectures to the Bulawayo Conversations panel discussions. A Khula Udweba Kids Art attack workshop will also be running for 5 days.
In 2016 as we test the waters, we welcome local galleries art and craft shops to participate with a particular bias Zimbabwean contemporary art work.
The Craft FAIR will be held at Douslin House (Home of the National Gallery) from April 26 -28 April 2016. The official exhibition opening will be done on 29 April 2016
BULAWAYO ART AND CRAFT FAIR 2016 will be accepting applications in the following
(including but not limited to):
• VISUAL ART: including painters, sculptors, photographers and print makers can participate both independently and through their galleries.
• PERFOMANCE ART: there will be evening performances in the courtyard of local & international performance art
• CRAFT FAIR @ THE BALCONY: Pop-up show by the Hunnar Art Consultants will present 30 stalls of craft from around Zimbabwe, from Basketry, books and wire art wooden and stone carving, jewellery and wide range of cultural artefacts.
• WORKSHOP & TALKS The Bulawayo Conversations will present topical programmes and Lectures by local and visiting curators for emerging and practicing practitioners and interested members of the public
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
• You send in your application for a gallery space or a 3 x 2m stall, (See floorplan) and we let you know whether your application is successful or not
• If application is successful you make your own travel and accommodation arrangements (You can apply to various funding bodies like the HIVOS/ Culture fund for mobility grants or funding for you to attend BULAWAYO ART AND CRAFT FAIR.
• If you cannot be in Bulawayo yourself, the Gallery will hang the work on your behalf and we will have attendants to liaise with clients and the Sabona sales shop will confirm sales a 25% administration fee will be levied on all sales by absent exhibitors, a M.O.U will be sent to you on confirmation of acceptance of your application.
DEADLINE for applications is 25 March 2016
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, to enquire about the application guidelines